To reach the Isle of Pines, the most convenient option is a flight with Air Calédonie. The airline operates daily flights from Nouméa-Magenta airport, with a flight time of approximately 25 minutes. Alternatively, Betico ferries offer crossings once or twice a week, taking about 2 hours and 30 minutes. Once you arrive, you have various options for reaching Baie d’Oro and the natural pool:
- Rent a car upon arrival and drive to Le Méridien parking lot, the starting point for accessing the natural pool and Baie d’Oro.
- Book a pirogue (outrigger) excursion to Baie d’Upi, which will guide you to the natural pool through a picturesque forest path and a turquoise water channel.
- If you’re staying at Le Méridien Île des Pins Hotel, you can reach the site on foot.
- Some accommodation providers offer shuttle services for a fee.
From the main road, a brief walk along a path or along the water’s edge (during low tide) will lead you to the natural aquarium in approximately fifteen minutes.
- An entrance fee of 200 XPF is required for access to the natural pool; please bring cash.
- For a more peaceful experience, visit the natural pool during high tide and avoid peak times for pirogue excursions (check with your accommodation provider for advice).
- Wear a swimsuit and beach shoes when crossing the inlet; be mindful of the pebbles on the sandy bottom.
- If you have a GoPro, seize the opportunity to capture stunning underwater photos!