Maré is one of the Loyalty Islands to the east of Grande Terre. From Nouméa, it can be reached by a 40-minute flight from the domestic Nouméa-Magenta airport. The ferry Betico 2 also operates a few rotations. The crossing from the Noumea ferry terminal takes 4-5 hours. Once there, to explore the island and get to the Terrasses de Shabadran, you’ll need to rent a vehicle. Book it in advance, and the rental company will deliver it to you at La Roche airfield or the port of Tadine. Get behind the wheel and drive the few kilometers to the tribe Kurine in the southeast of the island, the excursion’s starting point. This is where the adventure begins, first by pick-up truck, then on foot.
- Take advantage of the Fête de l’Avocat (Avocado festival) to head to Maré and punctuate your trip with unforgettable encounters!
- Check the weather conditions the day before your excursion and be sure to confirm the start of the hike with your local guide.
- Respect the nature around you and remember that you’re entering customary lands.
- Pay for the excursion in cash.
- The lightly shaded trail and short but tricky passage require good physical condition. Not recommended for young children, the elderly or pregnant women.
- Equip yourself with good shoes for walking on coral rock.
- Bring water, a hat and sunscreen.
- Excursion lasts 1 full day, but camping is possible on site (ask for info when booking).