From Nouméa, it takes 4.5 hours on Route Territoriale n°1 to reach Koumac, the commune closest to the mine. The village of Tiébaghi is about twenty minutes away. As there are few buses to Koumac, we recommend you take a rental vehicle. However, if you don’t have a vehicle, you can find bus timetables on the RAÏ website, the inter-municipal transport network. Then, the only way to discover the mine site is to book a guided tour organised by the Association pour la Sauvegarde du Patrimoine Minier et Historique du Nord Calédonien.
- Reservations for guided tours are compulsory, through the Koumac Information Point (42 78 42 or the guide on 52 00 75) or on the town hall website.
- The price of the guided tour is 2,500 XPF/person, 1,250 XPF for 12-15 year olds. Free for children under 12.
- The meeting point for guided tours is at the Koumac town hall parking lot.
- Tours take place on Thursday and Saturday mornings, generally from 8am to 11am.
- Special tours are organised during the Journées du Patrimoine or the Foire de Koumac.
- There is no direct public transport route to the site, so everyone reaches the site with their own vehicle.
- Credit card payments are not accepted. Be sure to bring cash.