The beach and caves of Luengöni are located in Lifou, one of the Loyalty Islands. From Nouméa-Magenta airport, several flights get you to Lifou in 40 minutes. By boat, the Betico company makes the connection in around 5 hours. Once there, vehicle rental is essential. To get to the beach, head towards the south-east of the island and stop near the Hukekep gîte. There’s a small parking lot at the southern end of the island where you can leave your vehicle. To visit the Joyaux de Luengoni, a local guide is compulsory, as this is customary land. Noël Pia and his team organize this unique excursion. We recommend that you book your outing in advance.
- While the Luengöni beach can be explored on foot, treading its warm sand in flip-flops or barefoot, you will need your mask and flippers to visit the underwater cave.
- Your guide will provide you with flashlights to explore the underwater cave.
- To get to the Luengöni Jewels, you’ll need good hiking boots as the path is quite rugged. Bring water and a camera/phone to take plenty of photos of these magnificent landscapes!
- Free access to the beach/ Guided tour for a fee for the cave.
- It’s best to reach the waterholes when the sun is high in the sky to benefit from picture-perfect lighting.