Three Bays Trail in BourailLes Trois Baies Bourail Jc Robert 2030 04 23
©Three Bays Trail in Bourail|JC Robert / NCT

French Study Trips

in New Caledonia

Are you interested in learning or practising French during your visit to New Caledonia? Combine your exploration of the archipelago with French language courses for a complete immersion experience!

Take an intensive course

Learning or practising French in New Caledonia means discovering the way of life of its inhabitants, enjoying its gastronomy, exploring its cultures, and visiting its iconic places. To explore the territory while honing your French language skills, Nouméa’s language schools offer various programmes and even the option to create a personalised curriculum.

In-Person and Online courses

Language schools in New Caledonia offer courses that help you develop the five essential language skills: speaking, interacting, listening, reading, and writing. These courses provide a wealth of intercultural knowledge and follow the CECRL, a standard reference adopted by many educational systems worldwide. You can opt for private lessons during your stay for a customised schedule. Long-term residents can also enrol in year-round course programs.

Enjoy a total language immersion with a homestay

Taking an intensive course during your stay guarantees rapid progress! Some courses offer classes every morning (or afternoon, depending on the school and chosen formula) while allowing time for exploring Nouméa and its surroundings in the afternoons. Language schools simplify the experience by offering packages that include accommodation. You can choose between staying in a hotel or, for a deeper immersion, living with a Caledonian host family (with a private room and shared breakfast and dinner). It’s a linguistic, cultural, and culinary adventure!

Summer School

Every year, from November to December, the University of New Caledonia welcomes around 40 international students for an intensive French program. This program combines practical French courses with cultural excursions and themed conferences. Students receive assessment, grades, a university certificate, and ECTS credits that can be applied to their studies. The three-week course is designed for students with a B1 or B2 level of French.

French Language Certification

Would you like your French language proficiency officially recognised with a certificate or diploma? CREIPAC is authorised to award the DELF (Diplôme d’Études en Langue Française), DALF (Diplôme Approfondi de Langue Française), or the Test de Connaissance du Français, which is essential for those seeking French nationality.

Two recognised French language schools

in Nouméa

A public institution under the supervision of the New Caledonian government, CREIPAC is the leading French learning establishment in the territory. Located in Nouméa’s Nouville district, the school conducts courses in the beautifully restored former Hôtel du Commandant, within a former penitentiary complex. The administrative and teaching teams are dedicated to ensuring that your stay is not only an educational experience but also a cherished memory.

Institut Voltaire

Conveniently situated in downtown Nouméa near Place des Cocotiers (Coconut Square), Institut Voltaire is a small private school offering courses at all levels, intensive programs, and packages that include accommodation and courses. The school has air-conditioned classrooms and flexible hours to accommodate learners’ needs. The teaching team can even travel to your location in Nouméa, Greater Nouméa, and the bush.

Frequently asked questions about language travel in New Caledonia
  • How long can I stay in New Caledonia for study purposes?

    International students can study at the University of New Caledonia (UNC). The application procedure depends on your student/non-student status and the partnership status of your home university with UNC. Foreign students can stay for the duration of their enrolled courses. Initially, a one-year temporary residence permit is issued, and at the end of the first year, a multi-year permit can be applied for.

    Note: Campus France has published a “Welcome Booklet” for people wishing to study in New Caledonia: Studying in Nouméa and New Caledonia

  • Do I need a visa to study in New Caledonia?

    Visa requirements depend on your nationality and intended length of stay. Only European Union nationals can stay in New Caledonia for more than 90 days without a visa. Non-European Union citizens must obtain a long-stay visa to enter New Caledonia, which requires proof of enrolment in an educational institution in the territory, an internship agreement, or participation in a European Union program. Once in New Caledonia, you should apply for a temporary residence permit marked “Étudiant” (Student) within two months of arrival. After one year of residence, you can apply for a multi-year residence permit for the duration of your study program.

  • Can I work in New Caledonia as a student?

    To work in New Caledonia as a foreign national, whether a student or not, you must obtain authorisation issued by the New Caledonian government, in collaboration with your employer. Foreigners who wish to establish their own businesses can do so after completing the necessary formalities. In certain circumstances, some summer jobs may be available to foreign students.

  • Can I volunteer in New Caledonia?

    French nationals or member countries of the European Union Nationals are allowed to do volunteer work in New Caledonia. If you are a non-European Union national and not a student, a carte de séjour temporaire (temporary residence permit) bearing the mention de Visiteur (Visitor) is required. To obtain it, you’ll need to provide proof of sufficient resources and health insurance covering the entire duration of your stay. In addition, regional agreements allow nationals of countries in the Pacific region (New Zealand, Vanuatu, Fiji) to engage in volunteer work.

    Contact France Volontaires for more information: